Counselling for Children with Asperger Syndrome
Asperger Syndrome is part of a group of disorders that affect a child’s development. These disorders usually become apparent early in life, and continue into adulthood.
The term “Autism Spectrum Disorder” (ASD) is now commonly used to describe Asperger Syndrome as well as Autism and “Pervasive Developmental Disorder – Not Otherwise Specified” (PDD-NOS) which is also known as Atypical Autism.
Counselling can help children with Asperger Syndrome
We provide behaviour and social skills training for children with Asperger Syndrome.
Children learn how to better manage their feelings and behaviour and how to interact more appropriately at home, school and in other social situations.
Strategies to improve your child’s social and emotional functioning
In counselling, your child will learn practical techniques to modify their behaviour. The aim is to demonstrate desirable behaviour, increase the frequency of that behaviour and decrease the frequency of undesirable behaviour.
We use a variety of strategies that focus on:
- Perspective taking and friendship development
- Understanding and expressing emotions (such as anger, frustration, anxiety, and depression)
- The development of special interests
- Sensory sensitivity and insight into self and others
- Decreasing rigidity in thinking patterns and behaviour
- Coping skills and developing resilience
- How to behave in different situations
- Developing conversation skills
- Dealing with stress, especially in the playground
- Dealing with changes in routine
- If you wish to claim Medicare rebates for Psychological Interventions for Asperger Syndrome you will need to obtain a referral from a psychiatrist or a paediatrician. These specialists will write a treatment and management plan for your child.
- We do not provide full assessment for ASD. However, we can complete a cognitive assessment (e.g., WISC-IV or WIPPSI-II) as part of a battery of assessments.
- Please consult the Autism Victoria service directory for a list of ASD assessment services.
More information about Asperger Syndrome
- Department of Health and Ageing – help with Autism section.
- Raising Children Network
- Autism Council of Australia
Book for counselling
Click here to order hcg drops now!